madness

"Writing is a form of madness. It must be exercised to be controlled."

Sunday, March 25, 2012

At the edge, and all that's left is the falling...

My wordbaby is almost complete. My character's hurt and struggled and fallen only to rise again. Each fumbling triumph adding more feathers and wax to the wings that bore her higher and higher...
But now we've reached that point, the sun is too hot, the wind has carried us too high, and the wax begins to melt...
She doesn't see it... Oh, they never do, but she's about to fall.
I find myself too locked into her hopes... I stare at the page and the words won't come, I hesitate to write them.
Because this is going to hurt. This is going to break everything.
It's the perfect tragedy, we both knew it from the start, it's only the beginning...
but sometimes, to begin, you have to destroy everything old to start anew.
She was so happy... but she knew it'd never last.
The feathers flake away and the gut clenching reality of gravity takes hold, in one split second you see the inevitable, before it happens, but to late to stop.
It's my fault. I built her wings and I made the sun, I sent her up on a fickle wind.
So I hurt too.
What goes up must come down... and the pain is for a reason...
But it's still pain, and it's still real.
Take one last breath...
Don't look down, you really don't want to know.
Close your eyes, and start to fall...
The end is your beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment